Countdown to Jen's Dissertation Defense: April 1, 2005

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

52 days left

This dissertation is doing things to me. Bad things. I've had to start wearing an ace bandage on my right wrist because it's so so sore from all the typing. And yesterday, I got into the shower without remembering to fully undress. I couldn't figure out why I felt so weird until I realized that I still had my underwear on. This can't be a good sign.

Chapter 8: TrustMail

Last night's simulations had a bug. They ran for 22 hours but were missing one of the two data points I needed. I have to re-run them and, unfortunately, the bug-fix has created a major slow-down. So it will probably take a few days to get this done. Once it's complete, I can plug in the numbers and ship it off to Jim.

Chapter 6

I realize I need to compare to some other algorithms here. I unsuccessfully tried to code a couple things and ended up emailing the authors of those projects to get ahold of their code or to send them my network so they can run it through their stuff. That will save me time, and also (and more importantly) prevent errors if I were to mis-code or misunderstand what is part of their work.

Chapter 7: FilmTrust

I did the lit search and pulled out a bunch of articles on movies, recommender systems, and collaborative filtering. Perhaps the future-work section of this chapter will get written tomorrow.

Chapter 1: Introduction

I had to include some writing in the days work, so I started on the introduction. It's not done, but almost everything has a good start. I wrote 1161 words, to be precise.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home